Thursday, March 18, 2010

Geeky foreign men = stars!!

When I first came to Japan, I hung out at and eventually worked at a local bar. I was living in an area near a University so there were lots of foreigners around. And it never ceased to amaze me to see cute Japanese girls falling all over .....ummm.... geeky foreign guys. Guys, who when they lived in North America would never get a second look. But here....they are stars! I've seen it so often that I don't give it much thought anymore but then I saw this article on CNN and I laughed so hard because it is so true and yet hard to explain to people back home. I also believe that many of these guys will never go back to their own countries-at least not while they are being treated like Hollywood stars!

3 comments:

Blue Shoe said...

Good catch with that video. An interesting phenomenon, indeed.

Thomas Hammerlund said...

I remember when Charisma Man appeared in one of the monthly magazines. It's funny because it's true.

chinamommy said...

i went to Hong Kong in 1991 with a group from my college. One of the guys was the most OBNOXIOUS know-it-alls & happened to be quite ugly (sad, but true) and the girls in HK couldn't get enough of this jerk! It was so weird! I thought for sure he would go back there to live!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails