Saturday, October 31, 2009

Kitchen gadgets found only in Japan

I'm guessing that these are only found in Japan of course I could be wrong but I never saw them in Canada!
First we have the "takoyaki" maker. "Takoyaki" are octopus dumplings and are very very yummy!!! I know some people have takoyaki parties so of course this would be very "bendy" (means handy or convenient)to have at home.

Then we have the very important hot hand towel warmer. In the winter in Japan, whenever you go to a restaurant, or even sometimes to a friend's house, you will be handed a hot hand towel. In a good restaurant they will be real cloth. In a cheaper restaurant they will be made from a soft paper. In either case, they will be heated so of course, you need one of these warmers! Here is a tip if you travel to Japan, don't do the "ojisan" (old man) thing and wipe your entire face with the hot towel while sitting at the table....it isn't cool!

The last gadget for today is the canned drink warmer. I have to admit, it is very cool to be able to get a hot drink where ever you are. This is obviously for a house or a small store but the whole hot canned drink thing is pretty amazing in Japan. I mean, you can be in the middle of nowhere yet there will a vending machine filled with hot drinks, hot corn soup (think creamed corn), pudding in a can etc. Well, if that appeals to you, you can buy this and always have a hot drink (or corn soup) ready to drink!

7 comments:

Amy Nicole said...

The tokiyaki maker is really cool. I once saw an episode with Anthony Bourdain when he went to Japan. I was fascinated by the tokiyaki! Way cool.

Amy Nicole said...

I meant Takoyaki! I wonder what a tokiyaki is? :)

Grace said...

They have takoyaki makers here in some of the Asian markets, but on the expensive side. I love takoyaki!!!

LoL I know what you mean about them wiping their entire face with the cloth... I see it happen here!!

FromJapanWithLove said...

They are cool but they are (for me at least) one of those appliances that are cool but hardly used! I gave mine to a friend because we hardly used it.

Cheap kitchen gadgets said...

I love my kitchen gadgets too, and am loathe to get rid of any of them. I know where that comes from....my mother :)

Kitchen gadget store said...

Its nice to know about tokiyaki maker, but it is popular in Japan so it will take some time to be popular in other countries.

Unknown said...

I was in Okinawa for 3 years and I bought some things over there like the takiyaki maker. I also bought a yakitori grill and a $700 toilet seat, (it's sweet). I want to get the drink warmer so I can have warm canned coffes/tea for work. I also have a face humidifier to cleanse the pores.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails